2021 JACKSONVILLE STATE
PRACTICE SCHEDULE THIS WEEK
Color Guard 4-7pm
Full Band 4-7pm (Practice Shirts)
Full Band 4-7pm (Practice Shirts)
MID TERMS EXAMS FOR BFA AND BHS STUDENTS
Please do not tell teachers that you won’t be able to take any mid-term exams Friday morning. All Students will attend 1st and 2nd block on Friday and be able to take their mid-terms.
The schedule below is a GUIDE- when on a trip with a group this large, everyone will need to be flexible. We have contingency time built in for traffic and other factors. Whether you are on the trip or not, no one needs to freak out if we aren’t on this schedule to the minute.
FRIDAY OCTOBER 15TH
- Students bring luggage to school Friday morning Oct 15th
- The BHS band room will open at 7:30am
- There will be a practice room for each section luggage
BFA students should take their luggage to the BFA orchestra or choir room and bring it over on the bus when the bus brings them over to Byrnes.
- 8th graders can keep luggage in FCM/DRH Band room.
- Middle School and BFA Students will bring their luggage on the bus when they travel to BHS.
- Everyone attends regular classes for 1st half of the school day.
- MAKE SURE YOU DON’T FORGET YOUR COOLER FOR PRACTICE AT NORTH GREENVILLE
11:00am Buses pick up Middle School students in the bus loop at their school
11:25am Buses pick up BFA students at their bus loop and bring them to BHS
11:45pm Lunch at School (Chic-fil-a, chips and drink provided by band booster club) (Feel free to pack your own lunch if you don’t want chic fil a)
12:30pm Depart BHS
1:30pm Arrive at North Greenville University for mini-camp- unpack
2:00 Mini-Camp (snack break provided by booster club)
5:00 Pack up
5:30pm Depart NGU
6:00 Mall Food court stop
7:00pm Depart Mall (Rest area stop at GA state line)
10:00pm Arrive at hotel- check in
11:pm In Rooms- Lights out
*** We are planning to combine DR Hill and FCM bands to play for the Dorman game since we will be in route to Atlanta- Mrs. Crutchlow and Mr. Bell will be at the game to coordinate this.
SATURDAY OCTOBER 16TH
8-9am Breakfast (provided by hotel)
9:00am Stretch out and review visuals for the show
10:30am Depart hotel
11am Mall food court stop in Atlanta
12noon Depart Mall for JSU (Note- JSU 1 hour behind in Central Time Zone)
1:30 Arrive, unpack and change (boosters provide snack and drink at 2pm)
2:35-3:20 Warm up
3:45 PRELIMS PERFORMANCE OF THE CENTURY!
5pm Prelims Awards
5:30pm Dinner provided by band boosters (subs)
7:30-10:30 FINALS PERFORMANCE OF THE MILLENNIUM! (our performance time depends on our draw)
10:45pm Finals Awards
11:30pm Depart JSU
1am Approx. Return time to hotel
SUNDAY OCTOBER 17TH
8-9am Breakfast (provided by hotel)
9am Depart hotel
12:30pm Return time to BHS
Students will need to unload their equipment/instruments before leaving)
Bands of America Information Packet for Band Boosters, Friends and families:
Please don’t email or contact Music for All or Bands of America with any questions. Please post any questions of the band parent FB page or ask a staff member if there is something you need to know that is not answered with these links or our trip packet.
PLEASE REPRESENT DISTRICT FIVE AND OUR COMMUNITY WELL NOT MATTER WHERE YOU ARE
Whether you are a parent/adult traveling on your own or student traveling with the band lets make sure we are professional. Parents, please be courteous to any BOA volunteers or officials at Jacksonville State or any other location. Don’t be the parent that cusses out the volunteer parking attendant while decked out in Byrnes attire (and it’s gets talked about on the walkie talkies to the entire BOA staff -where judges and everyone else can hear…) Thank you for your cooperation.
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBER
Karen Cummings- District 5 band chaperone director 864-237-2892
- Students are “with the band” the whole trip- it will not be OK for a parent to take a child off with them and bring them back- this almost always causes delays for the entire group
- We will allow students to ride home with parents provided that they have designated someone to bring their uniform back and unload/return their instrument/equipment AND completed the Event Sign out Form. That form (Click here to access the form) has instructions and is due NO LATER Thursday. Email that form to Cummings@Spart5.net
- No one will be able to sign out until after Awards Saturday
- Check the weather and plan ahead for what to wear during the trip
- You will need your cooler for this trip- We will practice at North Greenville
- PARENTS/SUPPORTERS PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL BETWEEN BAND BUSES/TRUCKS
- ANY STUDENT NOT FOLLOWING DISTRICT RULES WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE SAME CONSEQUENCES YOU WOULD GET WHILE ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
- BANDS OF AMERICA DOES NOT PERMIT VIDEOTAPING
- OUTSIDE FOOD AND DRINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE BROUGHT IN BY SPECTATORS AT JSU
MEALS (Bring $ for two mall food court stops- plus any for snacks at hotel/stadium if you want)
- Breakfast on your own before you come to school
- Chic-fil-a lunch (provided by Booster Club)
- Snack/drink at NGU (provided by Booster Club)
- Mall food court dinner stop (Bring $)
- Breakfast provided by hotel
- Lunch at mall food court (Bring $)
- Subs/cookie/drink (Provided by Booster Club)
- Breakfast provided by hotel
- Lunch on your own at home after we get back
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE CHARTER BUS:
- No gum allowed, please dispose of properly before getting on the coach
- No smoking or use of any tobacco products on the coach.
- Drinks must be bottles with screw on tops only.
- No greasy foods or chips, sunflower seed or chocolate
- No ice cream
- The coach is equipped with a rest room; however, heavy usage creates an unpleasant odor throughout the coach. For your comfort and convenience rest stops are provided and we suggest you use that time for rest room use.
- Please dispose of all trash in trashcans located in the front and rear of the coach.
- Do not stand in seats, sit on armrests, or kneel backwards and lean against the backrest. This may break the seats and damage costs will be charged to the group.
- No alcoholic beverages.
- No concealed weapons, knives, or explosives of any kind
MOVIES– bring plenty of DVD’s but only PG13 or under allowed- NO RATED R
WHAT TO PACK/BRING/WEAR
Try to bring everything you need in one suitcase and one carry on (if needed)
- Regular clothes for practice Friday (Warm weather- high of 82 is expected weather)
- Sunscreen for practice (optional)
- Cooler for practice Friday at NGU (NOT optional)
- Black Socks, show shirt
- Black Band shoes
- Uniform Bag with Bibber pants, costume top and hat (uniform racks will go on the trucks)
- Pajamas/something to sleep in
- Instrument (All instruments will be loaded onto the trucks)
- Anything else you personally need
- Money for meals (plus any snacks/souvenirs/etc.)
- TRAVEL LIGHT- WE HAVE CHARTER BUSES BUT THERE IS STILL ONLY SO MUCH ROOM
- PLEASE MAKE SURE NAME IS CLEARLY MARKED ON ALL ITEMS
- WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEARCH ALL LUGGAGE
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- ANYTHING ILLEGAL
- ANYTHING AGAINST SCHOOL RULES
- VALUABLES , EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY
PARKING ON FRIDAY
Because of the home football game Friday night students will not be able to park in the Junior lot- I am currently working on a plan with admin to have a place for Juniors to park. We will have an alternate location (that is safe) and provided that information before Friday. Seniors may park in the senior lot as they normally do.
CAR RIDER DROP OFF
You will get dropped off in the same location that you always do, just be prepared to exit your vehicle quickly and not hold up traffic (We suggest one smaller suitcase and one carry on) After the student is dropped off, they can bring their luggage to the band rm (BFA students take luggage to Choir/orch rm) When you drop off students please DO NOT park and leave your vehicle in the loop in front of the school- please say your goodbyes at home and drop off quickly so we don’t have a traffic jam
Staff and Parents chaperoning- please park in the rectangle lot next to the district office (PLEASE do not park in the spots in front of the district office, faculty spots, visitor spots or the Fine Arts Center Lot)
HOTEL RULE REMINDERS
- NO GIRLS ALLOWED IN BOYS ROOMS/NO BOYS ALLOWED IN GIRLS ROOMS
- THERE IS A HIRED SECURITY GUARD JUST FOR OUR BAND TO PATROL THE HALLS AT NIGHT
- ALL DISTRICT 5 RULES APPLY
Rooms left with unreasonable amounts of trash will be charged with an extra cleaning fee – starting at $50.00 per room and increasing dependent on the condition of the room.
The Front Desk will be happy to provide large trash bags if needed. Please bag & tie all trash that does not fit in the room’s waste baskets. Leave the tied bags in the room for the hotel to dispose of.
CAN BAND STUDENTS LEAVE WITH PARENTS?
- BAND STUDENTS NEED TO TRAVEL TO AND FROM THE EVENT WITH THE BAND ONLY
- BAND PARENTS WHO ARE GOING ON THEIR OWN PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE WILL BE MAKING CONSTANT ADJUSTMENTS TO THIS SCHEDULE AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COORDINATE WITH OTHERS THAT ARE NOT WITH THE BAND ON THE TRIP- THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
Holiday Inn Express Atlanta W (I-20) Douglasville
7101 Concourse Parkway , Douglasville, Georgia 30134
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Atlanta Douglasville
1000 Linnenkohl Drive, Douglasville, Georgia 30134
The hotels are next door to each other
CHARTER BUS COMPANY
Here is some important information in regards to students who take prescriptions. According to district policy, students who take prescription medications are not allowed to keep these with them unless it is a prescription for an epi pen or inhaler. In those cases, students must have a completed “Permission to self carry” form on file with the nurse at their perspective school. Therefore, if you have a child who will need to take medication during our trip to Alabama, you will need to get the medication(s) to me by the end of practice on Thursday. I will be at the picnic tables behind the band room from 4-5:30 on Wednesday and 5:30-7:00 on Thursday. For each prescription medication your child takes, I will need the following information: your child’s name and phone number, parent name and contact phone number, medication name, dosage and dosage times. Also, prescriptions need to be in their original bottle. This is also per district policy. Please only send the exact amount of medication that your child will need for the trip. Thank you for much for your help. Feel free to text or call me with questions at 864-237-2892. Thank You, Karen Cummings- District Band Nurse
LEAVE NO DOUBT!