We are very excited to announce that we have a newly added band director to the District Five team. Mr. Eric Bell will be joining us this fall. He will be teaching at Florence Chapel, D.R. Hill and assisting with the Rebel Regiment. Eric was himself a member of the Rebel Regiment and was Drum Major his Senior year with a State champion band that year.
He returned to District Five after getting his degree and spent many years here during a time of great success for all levels of the band program. He was very instrumental in helping build this program to a nationally recognized band. We are thrilled that he will be back with us and look forward to him being a part of the District Five Band Team!
Check out Mr. Bell’s Bio!
TIME TO DRIVE TO 65!
We are one step closer to the finish line, but it’s not over yet!! S.302 now moves to the House Floor. The current word is that it will not be taken up until next Tuesday. We will let you know if we hear anything different.
DRIVE FOR 65!
We’ve created a Banner for our DRIVE FOR 65 Campaign.
- Drive For 65
- Drive For 65 – (Optimized for Facebook Profile)
- Drive for 65 – (Optimized for Facebook Cover Photo)
TO DO LIST:
- Contact YOUR house representative.
- Phone calls are still best when talking to YOUR representative.
- When e-mailing use the word CONSTITUENT as part of the subject line.
- Ask for a response and/or if they support S.302
- Tell them that we need a “CLEAN BILL WITH NO AMENDMENTS!”
- Contact house representatives in your AREA.
- Don’t limit your outreach efforts to just your representative. If they serve your city/town/county then be sure to reach out to them as well.
- Click Here to send e-mails to the entire House of Representatives
- Subject: PLEASE SUPPORT S.302. You will most likely get an automated response, but we want to FILL THE INBOXES of the representatives so that all they and/or their staffers see is PLEASE SUPPORT S.302
- CONTINUE TO GET YOUR PROGRAM SUPPORTERS INVOLVED! Our efforts are working, but we need to keep the pressure on until S.302 has passed the finish line!
- Fill all social media platforms with our “DRIVE FOR 65 BANNER”! Get it out to everyone you know and ask them to support S.302!
PE was out IN FORCE at the Education Committee meeting and they are going to do everything they can to work to defeat S.302 or add an amendment… which could kill the bill! WE ARE SO CLOSE TO GETTING THIS DONE, BUT WE CAN’T BACK OFF OUR EFFORTS. Use the talking points & information on Bandlink Advocacy Page. Make sure you are INFORMED about our bill so you can answer questions and win over support for our cause.
LETS DRIVE FOR 65 & MAKE S.302 A REALITY!!
UPDATE (APRIL 11, 2018)
Bill S.302 must get through sub-committee before it gets to the main education committee chaired by our Representative Rita Allison. Mrs. Raye Felder is the chair of that committee. Nation Ford and Fort Mill Bands are in charge of contacting her but it certainly won’t hurt for us to as well. Please let Rita Allison know you are in favor of this bill if you haven’t already. She is our state representative and was a graduate of James F. Byrnes HS.
Their contact information can be found here: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/committee.php?chamber=H
District Five Band Family,
If ever there was a time we need your help, THIS IS IT! Bill S.302 that gives a unit of PE credit for marching band passed in the Senate with a unanimous vote! Next Tuesday it will go to the House of Representatives Education K-12 Committee. Please let our state representative Rita Allison know that you favor this bill. She has served our district very well for many years!
Please call AND email her to share your support for bill S.302 (see the links at the bottom of this email for talking points and details)
Rita Allison 803-734-3053 RitaAllison@schouse.gov
We need EVERY band family to email and call- The more the better. PLEASE HELP!
Top 5 Talking Points
- S.302 passed the Senate on March 27, 2018 by a vote of 43 – 0.
- This legislation would not replace PE and simply incorporates the five standards of the South Carolina Standards for Physical Education curriculum into the marching band curriculum in order to qualify for the PE education credit in high school.
- Flexibility: Students earning PE credit from marching band would have additional flexibility with their academic schedule.
- VirtualSC: Many students currently take PE using VirtualSC and use the cardio regiment from marching band as their activity for this class. VirtualSC PE students are required to have a fitness sponsor monitor their physical activity for the duration of the course and in many cases band directors in SC are already serving in this capacity.
- FIFTEEN states that currently allow marching band to count as PE credit: Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Oklahoma, Illinois, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and California.
This is a link to more information and all the details about this bill: https://www.bandlink.org/about/advocacy/
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT SPARTANBURG DISTRICT FIVE BAND FAMILY!